The ideal time for your child’s first visit to our office is around the time of his or her first birthday. The first visit allows us to evaluate the development of your child’s mouth, review how to care for these new teeth, and help stop or prevent any harmful habits. Prevention and education in dental matters are two of the best treatments we can offer. We believe the best dentistry starts at home!
Our staff is highly experienced and we work with children of all ages. We strive to make every visit to our office healthful, educational and enjoyable for both the child and the parent.
We recognize that many adults have had or still have ‘dental anxieties’ and that sometimes those anxieties may be inadvertently or subconsciously conveyed to your child. To avoid this, we’ve outlined some pre-planning tips you as the parent can do to help both you and your child have a great experience at our office.
- Very young children don’t have a realistic sense of time. Wait until the day of the appointment to inform your child. Tell them you’re going to visit a tooth doctor who will count their teeth and teach them how to take care of their teeth.
- Click here to show them what the office looks like. We have plenty of toys, books and videos in the office – most kids don’t want to leave!
- Emphasize the adventure of visiting a new place, meeting new people and being the center of attention. Do NOT use words like ‘drill,’ ‘hurt’ or ‘needle’ – they are inappropriate and will only create anxiety in your child.
- We examine infants and toddlers while sitting on their parent’s lap in the dental chair.
- If your child has a special toy or a blanket they rely on when they are anxious, please bring it to the appointment. We check teeth of dolls and stuffed animals, too, so if your child has a favorite one, please bring it!
Most of our treatment spaces are in open rooms that make it easy for parents to be present while their child is being examined and to interact with the doctors and staff. We explain everything in an age appropriate manner so your child learns while having fun.
What happens during the exam?
At every exam we will review your child’s health history; take any necessary x-rays; clean your child’s teeth (if any are present); conduct a thorough clinical examination of your child’s mouth, palate, gums, tongue and teeth; and teach them about good food choices and how to brush and floss their teeth. Prevention in dentistry is the best treatment we can offer!
After every examination, we provide parents with essential information about your child’s dental health:
- An assessment of your child's risk for decay;
- An evaluation of your child's soft tissues and gums;
- An evaluation of your child's bite and dental growth; and
- An assessment of your child's oral health as it pertains to his or her overall health including suggestions about nutrition.
Pediatric Dental Health Associates Vision Statement Pediatric Dental Health Associates has a mission to cultivate children to be motivated to take pride in their oral health and maintain it for a lifetime. Our goal is to provide children with skills needed to maintain and preserve their oral health while putting a stop to dental anxiety before it can start. We will provide a positive, individual experience for each child and their family's needs.
As your child's dental home, you will be ensured that our office will treat you with respect and dignity while providing an outstanding personalized experience. Our team is educated and compassionate in the care of children and patient's with special needs, from birth until adulthood. We understand that we are role models and can influence a child in ways that we are unaware.
The standard of care that we provide is in compliance with the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. We go above and beyond to stay up to date with all safety and OSHA standards. Our office maintains the highest standard of clinical and emotional care to each individual child. The patient that we focus on is the patient that we are working with at the moment. Some patients need extra TLC and will require more of our time than another. We will provide each child with the care that they need at the moment.
We understand that parents are entrusting their children's care to us and we take that seriously. We will help educate families on proper dental care in a fun way that will be easy to continue at home. Starting with the first phone call to our office until your child walks out with a goody bag or answering questions between appointments, our goals is to make this a wonderful experience.
We thank you for choosing Pediatric Dental Health Associates.
Your child will enjoy healthy dental habits when they use these Motivational Charts. Encourage regular brushing or help them break the thumbsucking habit.
Want something fun to do? Print one or all of the below Activity Sheets to see if you can conquer the Dental Crossword Puzzle, find all of the Hidden Toothbrushes, Unscramble the Dental Words, or find the Hidden Dental Words. We know you can do it!