Meet the Doctors
Joanne Oppenheim, D.D.S.
When Dr. Oppenheim is not in the office treating patients, she often meets with pediatricians, groups of parents, or pre-school and elementary students about dental health. She lives in Chicago with her husband, two children and large dog, Teddy.
Education and Specialty Training
- Diplomate, American Board of Pediatric Dentistry, 2010
- Received Specialty License in Pediatric Dentistry from the University of Illinois at Chicago, 1994
- Completed Residency in Pediatric Dentistry at University of Illinois at Chicago, 1992-1994
- Completed General Practice Residency at Illinois Masonic Medical Center in Chicago, 1990-1991. Special focus on medically compromised patients and those suffering from trauma.
- Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from University of Illinois College of Dentistry, 1989
- Bachelor of Science degree from Southern Illinois University, 1985
- Illinois Masonic Medical Center, Attending
- Illinois Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics ‘Bright Smiles from Birth’ Program Lecturer, 2007-present
- Special Care Dentistry Association, 1994-present
- Past President, Illinois Society of Pediatric Dentists, 2000-2001
- American Academy of Pediatrics, Member in Good Standing, 1998-2008
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, Member in Good Standing, 1994-current
- Chicago Dental Society, Member in Good Standing, 1989-current, and Mentor to Dental Students, 2007-current
- American Dental Association, Member in Good Standing, 1989-current
In the News
- Oppenheim, Joanne R. “Stem Cells: How Baby Teeth Can Save Your Life,” Woman Dentists’ Journal, January 10, 2009.
Marilia Montero, D.D.S.
Dr Montero has been practicing Pediatric Dentistry since 2000. She lectures nationally and internationally on topics including early childhood caries and infant oral health. Dr. Montero is fluent in Spanish and Portuguese, and lives in Chicago with her husband and three children.
Education and Special Training
- Diplomate of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry, 2006
- Completed a Fellowship in Pediatric Dentistry at the University of Illinois at Chicago, 2001
- Received Pediatric Dental Specialty License, 2000
- Completed Pediatric Residency at the University of Connecticut in Farmington, Connecticut, 1998-2000
- Completed General Practice Residency in General Dentistry at Strong Memorial Hospital, University of Rochester, New York, 1997-1998
- Completed Residency in Advanced Education in General Dentistry at Eastman Dental Center in Rochester, New York, 1995-1997
- Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from Federal University of Ceara in Fortaleza, Brazil, 1992
- Recipient, Distinguished Teaching Award by Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University and Ann and Robert Lurie Children's hospital of Chicago, Department of Pediatrics
- Recipient of UIC/Chicago Dental Society Foundation Grant, 2010
- Illinois Chapter, American Academy of Pediatrics ‘Bright Smiles from Birth’ Program Lecturer, 2006
- Special Care Dentistry Association, Member in Good Standing, 2008-current
- Greater Chicago Chapter of Hispanic Dental Association, Member in Good Standing, 2006-current, and President for term running 2009-2010
- Illinois Society of Pediatric Dentists, Member in Good Standing, 2000-current, and Director for term running 2009-2011
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, Member in Good Standing, 1998-current
- Chicago Dental Society, Member in Good Standing, 2000-current
- Illinois State Dental Society, Member in Good Standing, 2000-current
- American Dental Education Association, Member in Good Standing, 2006-current
- American Dental Association, Member in Good Standing, 1995-current
In the News
- Montero, Marilia, presentation at the American Academy of Pediatrics, Illinois Chapter Annual Meeting, “Infant Oral Health: A Practical Guide to the Pediatrician,” January 2008.
- Montero, Marilia, “Bridging the Gap: Crest Smile Shoppe Brings Oral Care to the Underserved,” Chicago Dental Society Review Journal, December 2005.
Mary J. Hayes, D.D.S., M.S.
Dr. Hayes is a nationally recognized authority in pediatric dentistry, and has spoken all over the world to professional groups about pediatric dentistry and dental education. She has been the recipient of many professional honors, including in 2000 the Cushing Award from the Chicago Dental Society in honor of her trailblazing leadership in oral health education.
Education and Specialty Training
- Diplomate, American Board of Pediatric Dentistry, 1988
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, 1988
- M.S. and Post-graduate Residency and Certificate of Advanced Study in Pediatric Dentistry, University of Illinois, College of Dentistry, 1978
- Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Illinois, College of Dentistry, 1976
- M.A., Medical Library Science, University of Chicago, Graduate Library School, 1974
- B.A., Magna Cum Laude with Distinction, Rosary College, River Forest , Illinois, 1970; Chemistry and French majors. Honors research at Argonne National Laboratory.
- Special interests include the prevention of dental disease as a means of achieving oral health; dental treatment of children with physical, mental, emotional and behavioral issues; the interface of dentistry and the law.
Hospital and Academic Appointments
- Children’s Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Attending
- Rush Medical Center and Hospital, Attending
- Member of the Clinical Team, Rush Hemophilia & Thrombophilia Center
- Rush Medical School, Department of Surgery, Division of Dentistry, General Practice Residency; Clinical Instructor, 1980-present
- University of Illinois College of Dentistry, Clinical Lecturer
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, Adjunct Instructor, 2000-present
- Vice President, Illinois Dental Lifeline Network, 2010-2011
- Secretary-Treasurer, College of Diplomates of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry, 2009-current. Served as President, 2007-2008
- Board Member, Chicago Dental Society Foundation, 2008–present
- Member of Illinois State Dental Board, 1990-1998. Served as Chairman, 1993-1994
- Active Volunteer of Tuesday’s Child, 1988-present
- Special Care Dentistry Association, Member in Good Standing, 1980-current
- Illinois Society of Pediatric Dentists, 1980-present; Liaison to American Academy of Pediatrics
- Chicago Dental Society, Communication Committee, 1995-present; Member in Good Standing, 1976-current; Mentor to Current Dental Students, 2007-current
- American Dental Association, Member in Good Standing, 1976-current
In the News
- 2009, Named as one of top 5 Pediatric Dentists by Chicago Consumers’ Checkbook (checkbook.org)
- Hayes, Mary J., “Infant Teeth and Oral Health: Facts Changing Myths”, Bright Smiles From Birth, Pediatric Oral Health News and Information, Fall 2008.
- Hayes, Mary J., “Are You Using Fluoride Varnish?” Woman Dentists’ E-Journal, March 6, 2008.
- Spokeswoman to the media for American Dental Association (since 1995), American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (since 1990) and Chicago Dental Society (since 2006).
- Dr. Hayes has provided numerous interviews for print, radio and television media including The Oprah Winfrey Show, Fox TV, CBS, NBC, WLIT-FM, B96/WBBM-FM, The Chicago Sun Times, Working Woman, Parents, Parenting.